So why can't I sleep and what can I do about it?

 Bad sleep started when I had my kids...18 years ago...you become hyper-alert to their voice, their cries...and from that time, it never really came back 100%.In a way, it becomes a companion...Some weeks, you sleep perfectly, generally on holidays...Some months, it's a torture, you can't concentrate, you dread the hours in your bed, your face really shows the impact of having only a few hours of sleep...

3 years ago, as I was transitioning between 2 jobs, I discovered sophrology, a cognitive behavioural therapy that encourages a better harmony between body and mind. It is very close to mindfulness but it was born from the research of a neurologist in the 1960's. It helps with stress, pain, concentration, fears...but more interestingly for me, with sleep. 

During my 2 year degree, I also helped a teenager ( my case study to get my diploma!) who was so sleep deprived he would fall asleep on my couch. And I could see the positive impact I had on him...but for how long?

What I discovered through this journey is the complexity of sleep, how helping people to sleep is such a difficult process, how some solutions work, some don't...

When you start reading about sleep, it becomes obsessive...what dreams mean, why people sleep a lot, why some can't, how mental and environmental factors play a key role,...

The objective of this blog is to share some of the fascinating discoveries I have done around sleep...interview the experts of sleep, their success and frustration,..and experiment on myself the different tools and innovation to help us sleep....The only thing I won't test are powerful sleeping pills. They may be necessary when you are running out of steam but they are not a long term solution. They are also highly addictive.


Comments

Popular Posts